Dietary supplement for
glucose and lipid management
2. Yin J, Xing H, Ye J (May 2008). “Efficacy of Berberine in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus”. Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental 57 (5) 712–7.
3. Zhang Y et al. Treatment of type 2 diabetes and dyslipidemia with the natural plant alkaloid Berberine. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Jul; 93(7) 2559-65.
4. Di Pierro F et al. Pilot study on the additive effects of Berberine and oral type 2 diabetes agents for patients with suboptimal glycemic control. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2012; 5:213-7.
5. Dong H et al. Berberine in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systemic review and meta-analysis. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012; 2012:591654.
6. Wei et al. A clinical study on the short-term effect of Berberine in comparison to metformin on the metabolic characteristics of women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Eur J Endocrinol. 2012 Jan; 166(1):99-105.
7. Lee YS et al. Berberine, a natural plant product, activates AMP-activated protein kinase with beneficial metabolic effects in diabetic and insulin resistant states.Diabetes. 2006 Aug; 55(8):2256-64.
8. Turner N et al. Berberine and its more biologically available derivative, dihydroBerberine, inhibit mitochondrial respiratory complex I: a mechanism for the action of Berberine to activate AMP-activated protein kinase and improve insulin action.Diabetes. 2008 May; 57(5):1414-8.
9. Chen C et al. Berberine inhibits PTP1B activity and mimics insulin action. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010 Jul 2; 397(3):543-7.
10. Cok A et al. Berberine acutely activates the glucose transport activity of GLUT1. Biochimie. 2011 Jul;93(7):1187-92.
11. Kong WJ et al. Berberine reduces insulin resistance through protein kinase C-dependent up-regulation of insulin receptor expression. Metabolism. 2009 Jan; 58(1):109-19.
12. Zhang H et al. Berberine lowers blood glucose in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients through increasing insulin receptor expression. Metabolism. 2010 Feb; 59(2):285-92.
13. Yu Y et al. Modulation of glucagon-like peptide-1 release by berberine: in vivo and in vitro studies. Biochem Pharmacol. 2010 Apr 1; 79(7):1000-6.
14. Yang J et al. Berberine improves insulin sensitivity by inhibiting fat store and adjusting adipokines profile in human preadipocytes and metabolic syndrome patients. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012; 2012:363845.
15. Wei W et al. A clinical study on the short-term effect of Berberine in comparison to metformin on the metabolic characteristics of women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Eur J Endocrinol. 2012 Jan; 166(1):99-105.
16. Pham TP, Kwon J, Shin J. Berberine exerts anti-adipogenic activity through up-regulation of C/EBP inhibitors, CHOP and DEC2. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011 Sep 23; 413(2):376-82.
17. Zhang Y et al. Treatment of type 2 diabetes and dyslipidemia with the natural plant alkaloid Berberine. J. Clin. Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Jul; 93(7)2559-65.
18. Cicero et al. A controlled study was conducted in patients who had hypercholesterolaemia and hypertriglyceridaemia, administering 500 mg of berberine a single dose once a day 2006-2007.
19. Kong W et al. Berberine is a novel cholesterol-lowering drug working through a unique mechanism distinct from statins. Nat Med. 2004 Dec 10(12):1344-51.
20. Li H et al. Hepatocyte nuclear factor 1alpha plays a critical role in PCSK9 gene transcription and regulation by the natural hypocholesterolemic compound berberine. J Biol Chem. 2009 Oct 16; 284(42):28885-95.
21. Cicero et al Berberine: metabolic and cardiovascular effects in preclinical and clinical trials. Nutrition and Dietary Supplements 2009:1 110.
22. S. Madrigal-Carballob, G. Rodriguezb, C.G. Kruegera, M. Dreherc, J.D. Reeda, Pomegranate (Punica granatum) supplements: Authenticity, antioxidant and polyphenol composition. Journal of Functional Foods, Vol.1, Issue 3, July 2009, 324-329
23. Lansky E. P., Newman R. A. Punica granatum (pomegranate) and its potential for prevention and treatment of inflammation and cancer. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2007;109(2):177–206.
24. Faria A., Calhau C. The bioactivity of pomegranate: impact on health and disease. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2011;51(7):626–634.
25. Seeram N., Lee R., Hardy M., Heber D. Rapid large scale purification of ellagitannins from pomegranate husk, a by-product of the commercial juice industry. Separation and Purification Technology. 2005;41(1):49–55.
26. Benzie I. F. F., Wachtel-Galor S. Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects. 2nd. Boca Raton, Fla, USA: CRC Press; 2011.
27. Sohrab et al., Effects of pomegranate juice consumption on inflammatory markers in patients with type 2 diabetes: A randomized, placebo-controlled trial, J Res Med Sci. 2014 Mar; 19(3): 215–220.
28. Sohrab et al. Effects of pomegranate juice consumption on oxidative stress in patients wth type 2 diabetes ; a single-blind, randomized clinical trial, Int J Food Sci Nutr , 2016 Sep 16 1-7.
29. Banafshe H.et al. Effects of pomegranate extract supplementation on infkammation in overweight and obese individuals : A randomized controlled clinical trial. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practise 2016, 44-50.
30. Sadiye Gozlekci, S. O, Ebru Onursal, Mustafa Ozgen, Total phenolic distribution of juice, peel, and seed extracts of four pomegranate cultivars, Pharmacogn. Mag. 7 (26) (2011) 161 — 164.
31. Sharma S et al. Beneficial effect of chromium supplementation on glucose, HbA1C and lipid variables in individuals with newly onset type-2 diabetes.J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2011 Jul;25(3):149-53.
32. Cefalu WT et al. Newcomer B. Characterization of the metabolic and physiologic response to chromium supplementation in subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism. 2010 May;59(5):755-62.
33. Sundaram et al., Chromium picolinate attenuates hyperglycemia-induced oxidative stress in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats, J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2013 Apr; 27(2):117-21. 2012 Nov 1.